Syllabus Jazz II 2017 PADA 353
Class Meeting Time:
January 23: School Starts
February 17: 1st reading/presentation
March 6: Mid-Term
March 17: 2nd reading/presentation
March 20-25: Spring Break
March 31: Cesar Chavez Day
May 5: AUTS
FINAL Wednesday May 17, 8:00 AM
- recall and list intermediate jazz dance terminology, choreographers and associated musical styles.
- describe and perform intermediate jazz dance steps with correct phrasing according to different jazz music accompaniment.
- create and perform complex jazz sequences using learned steps from diverse jazz dance styles and musical accompaniment.
- demonstrate mastery of jazz sequences emphasizing choreography specific to different jazz dance artists, styles and music.
- illustrate an understanding of the evolution and development of styles, artists and music of jazz
- critically analyze various jazz dance masterpiece choreographies.
- summarize, both verbally and in writing, as well as physically demonstrate, an understanding of course content to their peers.
- illustrate a sophisticated understanding of the process of analyzing and evaluating different forms of professional jazz dance
- Please check your Dolphin Email regularly for class updates, material, and changes.
- Cell phones must be turned off during class.
- Please do not bring children or guests to class unless discussed with Instructor 24 hrs. prior.
- Classes may not be audio/video taped without prior instructor consent and specified purpose. Please do not post any video of class to public forums without consent.
- Notify the instructor of any injuries or if you are not participating. A written assignment may be done about observations on the class. Excessive sitting out hinders your ability to learn and absorb dance, therefore it can be a probable cause for your grade to lower.
- It is often customary in a dance class for the teacher to help the student by physically adjusting their body toward the correct alignment. If you are uncomfortable with the professor gently manipulating your body, please inform her at the beginning of class.